The project provides for the recovery of part of the "Cassino da Urca" in Rio De Janeiro.
The area where there is the Cassino da Urca is located at the foot of Sugarloaf and the Morro da Urca, to the bay of Botafogo, in the residential district "Urca", one of the richest and exclusive of Brazil. The old casino built in 1933 instead of the previous Hotel Balneario that then, with the banning of gambling in Brazil in 1941, became, in the fifties, the seat of the first television network in the city, which was followed years of neglect that have seen the progressive deterioration of the building.
The Cassino da Urca, the unit as a whole, is characterized by the fact of being split into two separate buildings and separated by a road interposed to them: the first gently placed behind the beach while the latter is pressed against the slopes of the mountain. The famous theater whose stage has seen performances of the famous singer Carmen Miranda is located in this second part.
The European Institute of Design IED, the prestigious Italian institution with offices around the world, has worked on the recovery of the wing facing the sea to make it his home in Rio while for the other half the ICRANET, International Center for Relativistic Astrophysics, has studied a project, which is presented here, for the recovery of architectural and structural theater and simultaneously organize space to house its research laboratories.
And 'it provided that the theatrical structure, according to the demands of clients, has a multipurpose character to be available to the events organized by the three parties to whom the overall design is headed: IED, and ICRANET Prefecture Rio.
The project, in addition to pay great attention to the recovery of the existing spaces, focused on two aspects of a strong visual impact:
- provides for the integration of existing volumes with an extension of a projecting circular needed to equip a theater entrance foyer installed in an area separate from the flow direction, thereby removing the entrances to the theater from the street where they were previously located;
- it has characterized the roof of the building through large semicircular skylights designed to bring daylight inside the offices of research dell'Icranet and create from open views on the scenario offered by the two masses of granite that overhang the building.
Italian Contribution to the project
Prodotti “Made in Italy”:
- Infissi esterni: Secco Sistemi S.p.A. - Via Terraglio 195 – 31022 Preganziol (Treviso);
- Pareti mobili vetrate: Citterio S.p.A. – Via Don Giuseppe Brambilla 16/18 – 23844 Sirone (Lecco);
- Porte interne: Rimadesio S.p.A. – Via Furlanelli 96 – 20833 Giussano (Monza - Brianza);
- Corpi illuminanti: Viabizzuno S.r.l. – Via Romagnoli 10 – 40010 Bentivoglio (Bologna).
Via del Tibet, 41 - 00144 Roma (RM)
Banks, Bar/Restaurants, Business centers, Congress Centres, Cultural Centres, Department Stores, Government buildings, Hotels, Houses, Malls, Offices, Real Estate, Religious buildings, Residential, Resort, Schools and Universities, Stores, Theatres